From the Organic Consumers Association
- Organic foods are produced without the use of genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
- Organic foods are safe and pure. Organic farming prohibits the use of toxic pesticides, antibiotics, growth hormones, nano-particles and climate-destabilising chemical fertilizers.
- Organic foods and farming are environmentally friendly. Organic farms use far less fossil fuel and can safely sequester large amounts of CO2 into the soil. Chemical fertilisers applied on non-organic farms pollute our drinking water and create dead zones in the oceans as well as releasing vast amounts of nitrous oxide, a greenhouse gas.
- Organic food certification prohibits nuclear irradiation, which destroys vitamins and nutrients and produces cancer-causing chemicals such as benzene and formaldehyde. Many non-organic spices contain irradiated ingredients.
- Consumers are concerned about bacterial and faecal contamination in animal products coming out of inhumane and filthy slaughterhouses.
- Scientific evidence has confirmed that municipal sewage sludge contains dangerous pathogens, toxic heavy metals, flame-retardants, endocrine distributors, carcinogens, pharmaceutical drugs and other hazardous chemicals coming from residential drains, storm water runoffs, hospitals and industrial plants. Organic farming categorically prohibits the use of sewage sludge as ‘fertiliser’.
- There is concern about the routine practice of grinding up slaughterhouse waste and feeding this offal and blood back to other animals, a practice which has, in the past, been linked to a form of human mad-cow disease called CJD, often misdiagnosed as Alzheimer’s disease. Animals on organic farms cannot be fed slaughterhouse waste, manure or blood.
- Organic farming prohibits intensive confinement and mutilation (de-beaking, cutting off tails, etc.) of farm animals. These Confined Animal Feeding Operations produce enormous volumes of manure and urine, which pollute surface and ground water, and emit large quantities of methane, a greenhouse gas.
- Organic foods are nutritionally dense compared to foods produced with toxic chemicals, chemical fertilisers and GM seeds.
- The only farmers who stand a chance of making a decent living these days are organic farmers, who get a better price for their products. Small organic farms in the developing world produce more food per acre as chemical and GMO farms, while using far less fossil fuel and sequestering large amounts of excess C02 into the soil.
Please follow and like us: