Most women will experience cystitis or a urinary tract infection (UTI) at least once in their lifetime. Cystitis is an inflammation of the bladder, caused mostly by E.coli bacteria.* Women are more susceptible to recurring cystitis or UTIs due to the shorter length of the urethra.
Symptoms of cystitis or UTIs may include:
- Frequent need to urinate, even when the bladder is not full
- Pain or burning sensation on urination
- Urine that appears cloudy or discoloured
- Lower abdominal pain
- Urinary incontinence
If you are experiencing symptoms of recurrent cystitis or recurrent UTIs then Ellura® may be a convenient option for you.
Ellura® is a clinically researched natural medicine for the support of urinary tract health, and prevention of recurrent urinary tract infections (UTI’s). Ellura® is formulated from concentrated cranberry juice and contains 36mg of the bioactive phytonutrient, proanthocyanidins (PACs) in every capsule, the amount needed to prevent bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall.
There are many cranberry products, both juices and powders, available in South Africa. When it comes to cranberry extracts, a natural plant compound called proanthocyanidins (PACs) belong to the group of polyphenols and the family of flavonoids. Proanthocyanidins found in the American cranberry, Vaccinium macrocarpon, has been shown to help promote a healthy urinary tract. Research has shown it’s a minimum dose of 36mg of PACs that is required to help reduce the incidence of recurrent cystitis. These PACs work by helping to prevent bacteria, E.coli, from adhering to the bladder wall and to flush out bacteria from the urinary tract in the urine.
The bioactivity is due to the exceptional double A-type bonds between the building blocks of PACs. Most other fruits and substances have B-type PACs without anti-adhesion (apples, grapes, coffee, tea, cocoa etc.).
The bioactivity of PAC’s applies to all resistant and non-resistant E.coli strains.
Ellura® starts to work within 4 hours, with a 91% reduction in E.coli adhesion 6 hours after 1 capsule of Ellura®. Ellura® continues to work, demonstrating bacterial anti-adhesion at 24 hours, which is why a once-daily dosing is appropriate. This also ensures convenient dosing, and good compliance.
Ellura® is well tolerated with no unexpected adverse events and is suitable for use in men and women and is safe to use by the elderly.
Ellura® is ideally indicated for:
- Recurrent sufferers of cystitis.
- Individuals who may have already tried cranberry supplements or juice unsuccessfully, or may be a current user looking for a more efficacious solution to avoid recurrent episodes.
- Older patients: In a study of elderly patients with repeated urinary infections, bacteriuria was reduced by 93% during use of Ellura® (P < 0.0001).
- Individuals with an active cystitis infection: Ellura® should be taken as soon as possible to flush the bacteria from the urinary tract, in combination with the prescribed antibiotic.
- Prevention of recurrent infections: A packet of Ellura® may be taken every few months, or when a patient first feels vulnerable to infection, to maintain a clean urinary tract and help prevent recurrence.
- Individuals with a neurogenic bladder (catheterisation): Thomas et al. evaluated the efficacy of Ellura® capsules on catheter-associated UTI’s over a six month period and found Ellura® capsules were effective in reducing the number of symptomatic catheter-associated UTI’s in all patients. Resistance to antibiotics was reduced by 28%, and the major causative organisms reduced by 58%. No adverse events were observed.
*If pain or irritation persist for more than 48 hours consult your healthcare professional. The presence of blood in the urine warrants immediate medical attention.
Ellura® is available at all leading pharmacies and health shops without a prescription.
Visit www.flordis.co.za for more information.
This unregistered medicine has not been evaluated by the SAHPRA for its quality, safety or intended use.